Desktop backup software is a software for protect computer by saving user data
and installed software.
Regular backup can keep valuable data and work time, required
for software re-installation and configuration.
Desktop backup software used by small business company, mobile users and home users.
There are a lot of risks for data loss: hardware failures, viruses,
corruption by human, theft.
This software divides by type of backing up data:
1) File based backup software;
Any file, document or software can be restored individually.
2) Imaging backup software.
Only whole disk can be restored. New and changes files, documents and software
will be lost.
There are several modes of backing up data:
1) Full backup;
2) Incremental backup;
3) Differential backup.
It can be executed:
1) Automatic during start up or shut down PC;
2) Scheduled by week days or even by hours of a day;
Backup data stored into archives:
1) Open industry standard;
This is a best format for long-time keeping documents, because it can be restored
by any other software in future.
2) Private format.
Use it to restore on the same PC.
Transfer to new PC can be problematic, especially when a backup software is not supported
by new Windows version or new equipment.
Also archives can be encrypted, for example by strong encryption AES 256-bit.
It prevents unauthorized access to confidential data or corrupt backup archive by human.
Desktop backup software can be:
1) Standard windows application;
Simple to use software with wizard can be configured by any user.
2) Windows service with client interface tool;
It can do backup without user logon to Windows system.
3) Command line tool.
It is flexible solution for experienced users, which can be integrated with complex data
Target of backing up data:
1) External hard disk - cheap for huge data backup;
2) DVD - durable against mechanical vibration, electrical and magnetic fields.
Cheap for long-time storage;
3) Flash disk - durable against mechanical vibration, short-term storage,
small amount of data by cost of device;
4) Network - using server attached storage devices (external hard disk, tape recorder),
or special NAS (Network Attached Storage). Anytime access to backup archives from any PC;
5) Internet storage - safe against building fire and natural disaster.
Small data amount limited by slow speed of internet connection.
1) Shut down after scheduled backup to save power;
2) Email notification on backup failure.
Several type of licenses used with this type of software:
In any case, summary profit can be estimated by several criteria:
1) Hardware requirement: PC specification and type of backup storage;
2) Software requirement: Windows version, third party software, service packs;
3) Speed of everyday and weekly backup;
4) Functionality: backup specific data, security level, partial or full restore
on the same or another PC, etc;
5) New license price and upgrade price;
6) User qualification requirements: simple, intermediate, experienced.